Saturday, November 07, 2009

Big Apple, Street Potato

Just a small town girl living in a lonely world took a Rav4 heading anywhere...but more specifically New York City!

During my time in Connecticut we took a brief trip to the Big Apple so I could see New York City in all it's glory for the first time. So we loaded up the Rav, three children in the back, portable DVD players in full action, and hit the road.

Upon arriving in New York I enthusiastically took note of Trump Towers, the golden giant stood strong amidst the cityscape, however, no comb overs were sighted.

The first misadventure took place in the parking garage. As we pulled it there was little instruction so I took the liberty to pull into the garage. I soon took note of how cars were double parked. “Strange,” I thought, “how will they get out?” Then the two way corridor soon was scarcely even one way. Claustrophobia lurked. And then a car came the other way. It soon became clear what was going on. I wasn't supposed to be driving in there at all. What should have happened was we should have gotten out at the top of the garage and parking attendants park the car for you, therefore, able to conserve space by using every possible inch of it. Lesson learned.
Fist stop...chocolate. Obviously. Second stop...Time Square. For a moment I forgot what country I was in. Luckily, I glanced over to find this view...
(a little series on tourists)






During these H1N1 conscious times a healthy immune system is of utmost importance. I took the liberty of eating several things off the ground...and I am all the richer for it.

As we walked amidst the chaos there was a strange serenity about it. Crossing the street I noticed a curb-side potato resting in a puddle. We continued on and lo and behold there was Hello Kitty! We decided it was crucial that I took the kids' picture with Hello (we're on a first name basis). I began snapping away. Hello raised her head, revealing a small Asian woman. I thought she wanted me to take her picture. I raised the camera, she lowered her head. “Rude,” I thought. I lowered my camera, she raised her head, again saying something I took to be something to the sort of “take my picture.” I raised my camera, she lowered her head. I lowered my camera, she raised her head. After several exchanges of this I realized she was asking me to pay her $1 for every picture I had taken. I turned to Patti and Hello Kitty soon became Goodbye Kitty. Not looking back we grabbed the kids and took off down the street. If Hello Kitty wanted my cash she would have to chase me down the streets of New York and mug it out of me.


Being a big fan of the TV show “30 Rock” I found it necessary to got to Rockefeller Center. On the ice we found these Siamese Figure Skaters putting on a show.


Then across the street for a coffee at Dean and Deluca. Patti's phone was almost dead so we found a place to plug it in.



Continuing on it seems that fate brought me back to that curbside potato. So I picked it up and put it in my coat pocket. My New York potato. And now it sits in my Belleville apartment. No souviner can rival my NY potato...often imitated, never duplicated.



We also ran into Tina Turner. Actually, that's Patti's friend, Tina. She is an actress and was in town for an audition so we met up with her at the end of the day.

No comments: