Friday, February 15, 2008

Chikankata

A few weeks ago I went along with the team that was here to a village about an hour and a half south of Lusaka called Chikankata. It poured!! There is a rising river that has washed out the bridge so that now half of the village is stranded on the other side. There is an excellent hospital run by the Salvation Army which these people now are stranded from having access to as well. People were still trying to cross the now raging waters...one even carrying a bicycle. We slept on the floor in a mud hut and helped the local women cook a nshima feast. It took about three hours to make a fire in the rain (us girls held a tarp and inhaled smoke while our Californian bushman worked on the fire)...but once it was going...look out! I admit I had little faith the whole time it was being worked on and became less than amused that I was standing for hours holding a tarp and getting lung cancer. But it worked. I take it all back.

Click here for more photos
I took a little tumble on our way back from checking out the washed out bridge.

No comments: